The default user interface and icons on Android look good by default. However, if you’re tired of square icons or want to add your photos to icons, it’s possible to customize things to spruce things up a bit.
Changing app icons allows you to add some flair, and changing app icon names can help get things done. For example, launchers and other customization apps in the Play Store allow easy customizations of app icons for Android.
Today, we’ll show you how to change app icons on Android using a free and straightforward method. You can change app icon names and change their shape.
Change App Icons on Android
There are plenty of launchers in the Play Store, but most are riddled with ads. Instead, we’ll use the popular (and free) Nova Launcher. It has many options; if you want more, you can purchase Nova Launcher Prime for $4.99.
To change app icons, do the following:
- Download and install Nova Launcher on your Android phone or tablet.
- After it installs, scroll down to the Icons section.
- In this section, you can change icon shape and icon size. Tap the form you want and adjust the slider for icon size. There’s a preview screen above to get an idea of how things will look.
- After changing the icons, continue to scroll down and tap the round Checkmark icon to apply changes.
Change App Name
Nova Launcher allows you to change the names of your icons which can help you find items easier.
Use the following steps to change an app icon name:
- Long-press the icon you want to change the name for and select Edit from the menu.
- Tap the App label field and type in the name you want to use for your icon. You can change the name to whatever you want or leave it blank for no name.
Customize App Icons on Android
The free version of Nova Launcher offers plenty of customization options for app icons on Android.
To customize apps on Android, do the following:
- Tap the Nova Launcher icon from the home screen to open its Settings menu.
- Scroll down and tap the Look & feel option from the menu.
- Tap the icon next to Icon style at the top of the list.
- Under the Adaptive icons section, you can change icons to a different shape, but tap the More button for different shapes.
- A new More shapes screen will pop up where you can select other shapes not included in the initial setup of Nova Launcher.
- Choose the one you want to try, and it will give you a preview of a couple of app icons at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down, and you can enable or disable other customization options like reshaping legacy icons, show shadows, and more.
- When you finish, ensure you use the Nova Launcher if prompted.
Add Your Photos to App Icons
You can change app icons on Android further by adding your own photos with Nova Launcher.
To add your photo to an app icon, use the following steps:
- Long-press the app icon you want to change, and tap Edit from the menu that appears.
- Tap the app icon in the Edit shortcut section.
- Tap the Gallery apps option on the next screen.
- Select the location of the photo you want to use.
- Crop the photo and tap Done at the top of the screen.
- The photo you chose will display as the app icon. If everything looks good, tap the Done button.
Change App Icons on Android
Nova Launcher makes it a straightforward process if you want to change app icons on Android. You can change the app icon’s shape and name or add your photos to the app icons. Don’t want to use your photos as app icons? No worries. Nova Launcher allows you to download icon packs from the Play Store.
To learn more about Android, check out how to update apps on Android or how to enable Guest Mode.
If you’re a Windows user, learn how to copy and paste text between Android and Windows. If your customization doesn’t want to stop on Android, you can customize the Windows 11 Lock screen.
How do I decorate my Huawei phone?
Give your phone a new face with an unique Huawei theme. It allows you to personalize your device by changing the wallpaper, the app icons or the fonts, as to reflect your every mood. To choose a theme, go to Settings, tap Home screen & wallpaper and select Themes or open the pre-installed Themes app on your phone.
How do I get an icon picture on my Android?
Applying a custom icon Long-press the shortcut you wish to change. Tap Edit. Tap the icon box to edit the icon. Tap Gallery apps. Tap Documents. Navigate to and select your custom icon. Make sure your icon is centered and completely within the bounding box before tapping Done. Tap Done to commit the changes.
How do you make an app icon Square?
In previous versions of Android, specifically Oreo and Pie, you could long-press your home screen, choose “Home settings,” select “Change icon shapes,” then choose between the circular default option, square, rounded square, squircle, or teardrop icon shapes. Super easy.
How do I change icons on Android 10?
Go to Settings->System->Developer options–>Scroll down to icon shape. Now, choose the icon shape that you want to enable and you are done.
How do I apply icons?
Let’s see how to apply them: Tap and hold on any empty space on your Go launcher home screen to make the customization section appear at the bottom of the screen. Select “Theme” from the bar at the bottom, then again tap “Theme”. Now select the icon pack you want to apply and you’re done.
How do I change the icons on my Samsung Android?
How Do You Change App Icons on Samsung? Open Galaxy Themes either by clicking on the icon in your app tray or going to Settings > Themes. Tap the menu button in the top left, and select My Stuff. At the top of the screen, tap the Icons option. At the bottom of the page, select the Apply option. That’s it!.
How do I change icons on Android 11?
1. Using the in-built feature Just tap and hold on the Home screen and you will see a few settings appear. Tap on “Icons” or “Change style” on some phones. There you will see a few already installed themes, and if you don’t like them too, just go for the “Custom” option.
How do I rearrange icons on my Huawei?
Move an App Icon on the Home Screen Touch and hold an app icon until your phone vibrates, then drag it to the desired position on the home screen.
How do I customize my Huawei?
Go to Themes > Me. At the bottom of the screen, touch Customize. This feature allows you to select unlock methods, lock screen animations, lock screen wallpapers, home screen wallpapers, and app icon styles across various themes you have downloaded.
How do I change the icon shape in Android 12?
The first option is to install a custom Android launcher like Nova Launcher, which offers a way to change app icon shapes just like Android 11. The feature is available inside the ‘Look and feel’ section of the app and it lets you choose between circle, squircle, rounded square, flower, and more shapes for your icons.
Can I change shortcut icon in Android?
↑How do I change the icons on my Android home screen? Open the app and tap the screen. Choose the app, shortcut or bookmark whose icon you wish to change. Tap Change to assign a different icon—either an existing icon or an image—and tap OK to finish.
How do you change app icons and names on Android?
Open the app and tap the screen. Choose the app, shortcut or bookmark whose icon you wish to change. Tap Change to assign a different icon—either an existing icon or an image—and tap OK to finish. You can change the app’s name as well if you want.
How do I customize my Android home screen?
First, touch-and-hold an icon or a widget to grab it. Then, drag it to the right edge of your Android Home screen. When you do that, a new Home screen page is created, and you can place your item on it. Release the shortcut, folder, or widget anywhere you want on the new page.
What is the best launcher app for Android?
Even if none of these options appeal, read on because we’ve found many other choices for the best Android launcher for your phone. Nova Launcher. (Image credit: TeslaCoil Software) Niagara Launcher. Smart Launcher 5. AIO Launcher. Hyperion Launcher. Action Launcher. Customized Pixel Launcher. Apex Launcher.
How do I get square icons on my Android?
Steps: Long press on your Home-screen. Tap on Home-screen settings. Go to “Change Icon Shape” and choose any icon shape of your choice. This will change icon shape for all system and pre-installed vendor apps. 3rd party developer apps can also change their icon shape provided the developer has enabled its support.
How do I change my icon style?
Go to Settings, followed by themes. At the bottom, tap on the Icon option, and you’ll see a large variety of icon styles. Some will be free while you’ll need to pay for others.
How do I change an icon picture?
About This Article Download Awesome Icons from the Play Store. Open Awesome Icons. Select an app icon. Tap the photo gallery icon. Select an image. Crop the image. Tap OK. Drag the new icon to the desired location.
Can you change font Android 12?
In Android 12 you can use the FontManager system service to manage installed font files and update device-installed font files without a system update. Android 12 features three process interactions; FontManagerService , Font Updater , and Application .